Kevin Gates may be the most polarizing entertainer in the rap music today. Hate him or love him, he is one of the most interesting individuals to grace the genre in quite some time. With that said, there are many people who are curious about him as a person.
So today, here are 10 interesting facts about Kevin Gates.
- His real name is not Kevin GATES. He was born Kevin Jerome Gilyard in 1986.
- He has been arrested numerous times in his life, the first of which was at the age of 13. He believes being arrested at such a young age criminalizes young people.
- His quotes and lyrics are extremely popular online, amassing a large number of searches and shares. Two of his most popular phrases are:
a) “Jail and the streets go hand in hand. You can’t have one without the other. They coincide”
b) “Love is a battlefield. It’s not a one night stand.”
- He has the same birthday as football/soccer players, Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar. He also shares his birthday with slain teen, Trayvon Martin.
- He has an energy drink named after one of his most popular phrases: I Don’t Get Tired.
- He earned a Masters Degree in Psychology while incarcerated between 2008 and 2011.
- Even though Gates isn’t strictly considered a mainstream artist, he has had mainstream success; consistently selling out shows and being featured on Rolling Stone’s best song list for 2013 (at #40).
- He has a daughter and a son with his long time girlfriend turned wife, Dreka Gilyard nee Haynes. Their names are Islah and Khaza, respectively.
- He has received praised from Rolling Stone, Complex, Pitchfork and many other notable music magazines.
- Kevin Gates has an Elvis tattoo on his chest. Origin: he received a kilogram of cocaine once with Elvis’s face stamped in it. He started listening to Jailhouse Rock and he loved it.