Members of the self-reported genre “pop or whatever,” Stepdad, formed in 2009, is impossible not to love. In this installment of Yes-or-No, we hear from Stepdad frontman Mark ‘ultramark’ Tafel. Check out his answers below, and be sure to listen to their latest EP, Strange Tonight.
1. Do you anticipate the addition of any new members in the future? – No
2. Have you always had the nickname “ultramark”? – Since I was about 15.
3. Do you have a favorite place to tour? – Yes
4. Do you ascribe to traditional Midwestern values? – No
5. Is there an equal dynamic between all of your group’s members? – Yes
6. Do you eat breakfast? – Yes, at whichever unpredictable hour I eventually wake up.
7. Do you manage your own social media accounts? – Yes
8. Would you ever consider shaving your beard? – The circumstances would have to be extraordinary.
9. Is one person in your group the ultimate “stepdad”? – No
10. Do you enjoy creating music videos as much as you enjoy creating music? – No
11. Do you find it easy to relate to your fans? – Yes
12. Have you ever slept in until 5 p.m.? – Yes, several times in the last couple weeks.
13. Are you currently in a relationship? – Yes
14. Is there a specific performer/group you’re dying to collaborate with? – Yes (Tunde Olaniran)
15. Is the music scene in Grand Rapids better now than it used to be? – Yes, never stops getting better.
16. Is writing your songs’ lyrics a collaborative process? – No
17. Do you have a guilty pleasure? – Unless it’s obtained at the expense of others, pleasure is nothing to feel guilty about.
18. Do you actually have a step-dad? – No
19. Is your latest release, Strange Tonight, your best yet? – I’m the wrong person to ask.
20. Did you enjoy answering these questions? – Eh.
Disclaimer: Yes-or-No is a segment in which people we select to interview are prompted with 20 questions, and they are asked to respond with either “yes” or “no.”