The snake is a slithery, slippery, creepy little beast, and we are here to give you the scoop on everything you need to know about these legless reptiles. Whether they are venomous or not, everyone should be educated about the nature and potential danger of snakes. All you need to do so if our helpful list of everything you didn’t know about these frightening creatures! Be sure to come back for our part two article, featuring the top eight things you didn’t know about the snake!
Number Fifteen: The Smallest Snake
Snakes can sometimes be terrifying, but we can guarantee that the thread snake will never catch you off guard. This cute little mini-snake only grows to a maximum length of a pathetic four inches.
Number Fourteen: The Biggest Snake
Conversely, you are likely the be scared out of your socks by the reticulated python. These intimidating beasts grow to a maximum of 30 feet- longer than any other snake in the world. Don’t worry too much, thankfully there is no venom here.
Number Thirteen: No Legs, Just Appendages
When describing the form of a snake, it is most often categorized by its lack of limbs. While no snake can have limbs (unless it is horribly mutated), some do have “appendages.” These options can range anywhere from horns to sabre-teeth.
Number Twelve: The Swallowing Power
Despite their petite girth, snakes are capable of swallowing whole creatures that are anywhere from 75-100% bigger than themselves. This is largely due to their amazing ability to unhinge and re-hinge their jaws. However, this can sometimes lead a snake to its downfall. If the prey is still alive and puts up a fight, it is not uncommon for snakes to be ripped right open from the inside.
Number Eleven: Pupil Variations
There are countless variations of breath-taking snakes in the wild, and many are known to sport diverse pupil shapes. There are species with round pupils, vertical slit pupils, horizontal slit pupils, and a few other unique shapes. Matilda’s horned viper is especially impressive. It is often said that venomous species can be discerned by their pupil shape, however, this isn’t always reliable.
Number Ten: Birth Adaptations
It is primarily assumed that snakes give birth by laying eggs, but this is only true of about 70% of species. The remaining 30% have adapted to cold climates and give live birth instead.
Number Nine: The Rarest of Snakes
The Saint Lucia Racer holds the title of the rarest snake in the world because it is by far the most endangered species of snake known today. Originally, the species was believed to be extinct; however, a discovery of 11 of these racers was made in 2012, opening the doors to the possibilities for the species. Be sure to come back for our part two article, featuring the top eight things you didn’t know about the snake!